It was probably founded between 700 and 900. In 1201, Beringer von Horhusen donated nine hooves of land in Erlinghausen to the monastery in Marsberg. This event had a significant influence on the development of the village for many centuries. This donation is commemorated by the coat of arms with the chess bar of the von Horhusen family and the abbot's staff of the Corvey abbots, to whom the monastery in Marsberg was subject. Today, the village is characterized by its lively club life.
The Catholic church in the village is dedicated to St. Vitus. The war memorial on Dicken Platz is made of ashlar and there is a fountain with a gargoyle on Köhlers Drift. On Königsstraße there is a station cross and a cave made of grotto stones with a statue of the Virgin Mary.
The Grenzsteinweg, a 12 km circular trail, marks the state border between Hessen and NRW with 41 (of the former 42) historic boundary stones.
- St. Vitus Erlinghausen Catholic Church
- Pastoral pilgrimage trail: "In the footsteps of our ancestors" (Erlinghausen - Obermarsberg)
- Erlinghausen boundary stone trail
Find out more about Erlinghausen here.