The municipality originated from an old farmstead below the hill of the same name, which had a castle. The mention of Reische vom Cansteyn in 1080 allows the first conclusions to be drawn about the village. In 1342, the Archbishop of Cologne granted Canstein Castle as a fief to the Rabe von Pappenheim family. This branch, which later called itself von Canstein, succeeded in establishing an almost independent lordship with a patrimonial court. The municipality of Canstein incorporated the heraldic animal of this dynasty, the raven, into its coat of arms.
The castle pond with fountain is located to the right below the castle of the von Elverfeldt family and St. Laurentius Church is located to the left below the "Dicken Stein", which gave the village its name.
Canstein is known nationwide for the Highland Games held at the end of June.
- St. Laurentius Canstein Catholic Church
- Pastoral pilgrimage route: "Altes Kirchspiel Heddinghausen" (circular route Borntosten, Leitmar, Heddinghausen, Canstein, Udorf)
- Canstein Highland Games (spectacular competitions in the Scottish tradition)
- Canstein Castle (private property)
Find out more about Canstein here.