St. Clemens parish church


Sauerland-Seen / Outdooractive POI / St. Clemens parish church

The oldest form of the parish church of St. Clemens dates back to the time of Bishop Anno of Cologne (1050-1075).

At this time, the church was a flat-roofed hall with a semicircular apse. After Count Heinrich III von Sayn and his wife Mechtildis von Landsberg founded a Cistercian monastery in Drolshagen in 1235, the modest hall church was converted into a basilica. It was not until the town was fortified in 1491 that today's tower was added as a watch and defense tower.

St. Clemens Kirche





St. Clemens parish church


57489 Drolshagen

Telefon: 02761/71124

The interior of the church surprises with its austere, raised central nave. There are four columns on the outer choir wall, which are said to be made of limestone from the Roman Eifel water pipeline. When the church was given a modern extension in the 1960s and the Romanesque church was renovated, Romanesque frescoes were found in the apses of the side aisles. Also worthy of note are the baptismal font (13th century), a Gothic sacrament house in the choir and a 15th century Pieta as well as Baroque sculptures from the 18th century: a crucifixion group in the choir, the pulpit, St. Sebastian's altar and the organ prospect from 1787.

The belfry contains six new bronze bells and a steel bell, which is the largest in the Archdiocese of Paderborn. All the bells together have a total weight of around 18 tons.

In recent years, the parish church of St. Clemens has been thoroughly renovated. The new altarpiece by artist Thomas Jessen has become a much-discussed and sensational attraction.

The church is open all day. It is located right in the city center.

Text: Drolshagen Marketing e. V.

Wir binden die Videos der Plattform “YouTube” des Anbieters Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA, ein. Datenschutzerklärung:, Opt-Out:

Bitte beachten Sie, dass nach der Aktivierung Daten an den jeweiligen Anbieter übermittelt werden.