The Museum Association Sundern e.V. has set itself the task of preserving the craft, industrial and economic history of Sundern in particular.
You can see the dedication and enthusiasm of each and every member for yourself when you visit the "Alte Kornbrennerei" museum in the heart of Sundern. Lovingly collected workpieces from times long past bear witness to centuries of successful industrial development in Sundern. Many of the companies, some of which were founded centuries ago, still exist today. Mining, on the other hand, which also flourished in our region between 1400 and 1927, is unfortunately no longer present. Of course, there were and still are extensive agricultural businesses in Sundern, which settled here from 1600 onwards.
The building that now houses the "Alte Kornbrennerei" was built around 1500 as a defense tower. The fact that schnapps was later distilled in the same house is thanks to Mr. Kleinsorge, who registered the distillery as a business in 1882. Schnapps was distilled in today's museum until 1966.
The Wredesche Hamme was built in 1769. Johannes Scheffer started producing paper from straw on this site in 1849. This marked the beginning of the PS (Sundern paper mill) boom.
When petroleum was discovered at the end of the 19th century, the Brumberg company began manufacturing metal lamps in 1873.
Today's Schulte Ufer company began production in 1886 and continues to impress customers throughout Europe with its range of pans.
Although the Maybaum company closed its doors at the beginning of the 1970s, its stoves in particular are still well-known throughout Europe today. The rise of this company began in 1890 and many Maybaum exhibits can be admired today in the "Alte Kornbrennerei" museum.
The Severin company - today known throughout Europe and the world for its electrical products - also began manufacturing in the 19th century (1892).
With the Röhrtalbahn, which connected Sundern with Neheim, other companies gradually settled in the Röhrstadt Sundern at the beginning to middle of the 20th century:
Around 1900 to 1919: Otto Brumberg metal goods factory (1906), August Pingel company (1909), Carl Froh (1911), Gebrüder Funke (1919)
1920-1940: Hönnetal Kettenfabrik (1920), SKS Scheffer Klute, Schröder und Söhne, Gebr. Beilmann, Fritz Buchheister, Clemens & Co. and Gebr. Blome in 1922, Linneborn Lampen (1923), Gebrüder Schulte (1925), Paul Bruchhage (1927), Geb. Tillmann (1931), Wilh. Scheffer Metall (1932), Assheuer and Pott (1933), Presswerk Sundern, Josef Sauer and Josef Hugenpoth (1934), Adami + Tillmann (1936)
From 1940: Johann Baulmann (1941), Franz Kordes (1943), Emde and Simon+ Schelle (1946), Becker + Schulte and Wepa (in the PS) (1948), Paul Hauschulte (1950), Alois Fischer (1950), around 1960 Frieling, Lübke and Vogt (1968).
The majority of the companies listed are on display in the museum today. Art exhibitions, readings and special events are held here at irregular intervals.
Guided tours are also offered outside opening hours by appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org