The market square is lined with houses from the reconstruction period after the town fire. On the corner of Gerberstraße, the large half-timbered building, which now houses the Sparkasse bank, stands out from the other houses in the town center with its mansard roof. Directly opposite is the former Hotel Schürholz, a listed, magnificent half-timbered house. It was run as a hotel by its builder, Andreas Schürholz, and was the "first house on the square". After the town fire, only wealthy citizens were able to settle on the market square and along the main street. The further away the building plots on the streets leading from here became, the more modest the new buildings were when they were rebuilt after 1838. The house on the corner of Annostrasse/Kirchplatz, which houses a restaurant, is one of the first stone buildings in Drolshagen. It was built at the beginning of the 20th century.
Until then, there were only half-timbered buildings with mud walls. The beautiful stucco ornamentation, which is rare for Drolshagen, is typical of this period. The house opposite stands where the old town hall once stood.
Text: Drolshagen Marketing e. V.